Sunday, November 2, 2008

What Lies Beneath i & ii - Carla DIOT




Since my last two posts were portraits, I decided to stray a little differently. I couldn't find a decent photo to use, but, I remembered the series I took in August 2007. It was with a disposable underwater camera. For those who don't understand, I can tell you that this photo was taken underwater, looking up, and I can also tell you that this photo was painstakingly difficult to take. 

When I took this, I remember that my idea was about perspective. I've always liked being underwater, and thought that everything looked interesting underwater. So I thought about an popular question: What if you were the reflection in the mirror? However, instead, I applied it to what you see when you look into clear blue waters. One of my favorite things about this photo other than the concept is the different color usage in the photo. For example, there is the blue sky, the blue of the pool wall, and my personal favorite, the red and white of the lifeguard's chair. I just find that in the combination of the blue sky and the red and white of the umbrella, it just works really well to create a contrast on the surface.

The other photo in the series:


The concept of this photo was sort of: standing on water, or just the perspective of looking down on the sky, rather than the normal direation of up.

No comments: