Saturday, November 1, 2008

Robert DOISNEAU - Les Enfants de la Place Hébert (The Children of Hébert Place)


I find that I really do like photography that involve people.

But I find that this portrait stands out to me for a few reasons.

I think that it is interesting, because the subjects are aware of the photographer, yet there is such liveliness and personality in the portrait. Not that it usually lacks in most portraits. I just think that the photographer has done a great job in giving them soul. Whereas many portraits involve children looking straight at the camera, face fully showing, this photograph has variety among the subjects. The youngest subject has a look of curiosity and shock--like she has never seen a camera before, and is in wonder of what is going on. The one above her is much more casual, yet surprising the photographer with her humorous expression. The final subject has almost the impression that he's unaware of the photographer, or he's just trying to look cool. I think it's really great that the viewer can see who the subjects actually are as people such as ourselves. 

I find it very interesting that the background seems to be entirely empty of minor "subjects" despite its location in Paris. 

No comments: