Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sophie JARRY

The thing I really like about black and white photography is the details. It seems to me that in color, you miss out on certain details because they seem to be washed out because of all the other colors. Black and white is so simple that you get a lot more contrast, and certain human details seem to stand out.

The photographer is one of my favorites, Sophie Jarry, who specializes in musical photography and portraits. What I really like about her vision is that she wants to capture her subject doing something completely in character. Even though the subject is more than aware he's being taken, he doesn't pose and smile, instead he does what would come naturally to him.

I think what is also very interesting is the amount of contrast she uses in her photographs. It is recurring throughout many of her shots. She seems to use a lot more blacks and whites rather than everything in between. I find it to be a very interesting coloring she uses.

Most of her photos can be found here:

http://sophiejarryonstageandback.neufblog.com


Here are some other photos from her:





No comments: