Thursday, November 20, 2008

Henri Cartier Bresson

This French Photographer was shown to me by my mom after I couldn't figure out what I should comment  about. His name is Henri Cartier Bresson. 

I find it funny that most of his work is in black and white. But, the subjects are normally ones you would see in color. When I automatically think of a black & white photo, portraits, especially ones in which you see a lot of shade and emotion on the person's face, comes to my mind. 

This is where he changes things up. I think that this photograph itself could be a portrait. It shows a lot about the subjects, and you can really learn about them through the small details in the background or trivial things such as their clothing. But he chooses to shoot the photo completely differently. 

I also think that he stands out as a photographer because of his work with grayscale. There is much less contrast than the other photographs I have featured in the past, but it almost seems to me that the softer colors (the grays rather than black & white) fit the people themselves. The subjects remind me themselves of peaceful people, maybe of a different culture of our own, that also seems curious. Bresson chooses to let the lack of contrast really show their personality. 

No comments: